- Complete applications in face-to-face meetings with customers.
- Indicate on the application if you did not have a face-to-face interview with the applicant present.
- A paramedical exam, urine specimen and blood profile will be required if a face-to-face interview did not occur, regardless of your customer's age or the amount of coverage.
- Don’t sign as the witness if you didn’t personally witness the applicant’s signature. Someone who was there at the time should sign as the witness.
- Ask each applicant the questions as worded and record their answers as given without editing.
- If you have personal knowledge of factors which could present an insurability concern, provide that information to us in a separate letter along with the application.
- Other than adding your signature as the witness, nothing additional should be added or changed on any application after it has been signed. The only permissible additions are those initialed by the applicant.
- Collect premiums with the application if the conditions of the Conditional Life Receipt are met. Please read the conditions carefully. In California and Kansas, all questions on the Temporary Life Receipt must be answered “No.”
- Agent’s name and address must be included on the illustration for all products.
- All illustration pages must be included and have same date and time. Pages can easily get shuffled with multiple illustrations – double check!
- The illustration must indicate “Basic” or “Revised” in compliance with the NAIC illustration requirements.
- In NAIC states, applications for illustrated products must be accompanied by either a signed basic illustration or a signed PLX-588 (no illustration form).
- NY, NC or PA:
- The basic illustration or PLX-588 must be signed on or before the application date; otherwise, we cannot accept the application.
- NY Reg 187 – Suitability and Best Interest requirements – Life Insurance and Annuities
- Premium amount on the application must match the illustrated premium.
- Policy changes such as increases, decreases, withdrawals, loans (non-1035) will NOT be accepted.
- NY, NC or PA:
- If a PLX-588 is used:
- If approved as applied for, an unsigned basic illustration is required for issue.
- If approved other than applied for, an unsigned revised illustration is required for issue.
- In both these scenarios, if illustrations are unsigned, signatures will be obtained on delivery.
- For conversions or exchanges:
- A signed PLX-588 or a signed basic illustration is required with the application.
- A signed PLX-588 must include a basic illustration (signed or unsigned) as a guide to issue the policy.
- Upon delivery, a signed illustration will be requested (even if the previous was also signed).
These requirements are subject to change based on subsequent state adoption of the NAIC Model Illustration Regulation or other state specific regulatory requirements.
Other related topics
Run illustrations with ease
Resources and support related to underwriting
Streamline new business processes with Protective Velocity
We’re here for you
Everyone deserves peace of mind when it comes to safeguarding what’s most important. We’re ready to help you deliver the protection and security customers deserve. Reach out to us anytime for questions and support, and we’ll get in touch with you as soon as possible.